Fresh fruit is a total summer thing. But winter beckons me to scarf down a warm gooey delight. So on this rare occasion I decided to break the bank and get the rarity of winter, blueberries and support my coffee addiction with a muffin. Not just any muffin, a blueberry muffin that I often fail to avoid at the local Starbucks, during my weaker moments.
Adapted from blogger BarbaraBakes, this streusel muffin is very fulfilling in taste, sight and nostalgia. So what if the season’s not cooperating, my taste buds sure will!
Blueberry Streusel Muffin
- 2 c flour
- 1 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 c sugar
- 1 stick (8 T) butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 t vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c milk
- 2 c fresh blueberries
- 4 T sugar
- 1 T flour
- 2 t vegetable oil
- Combine streusel ingredients and set aside
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare muffin pan with cooking oil or liners.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl and set aside
- In a stand mixer mix sugar and butter until fluffy
- Add vanilla, eggs, and milk, mixing well
- Add flour and mix until just combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Divide evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle each with streusel.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes once out of oven. Remove muffins from pan and cool completely before serving.
Makes: 12 – 14 muffins